Sunday, August 17, 2008

SECRETS......

So for those of you that think you know us...we have a big secret.... (this doesn't include family....you already know our roots, and love us all the more...but we need to let some of our friends know.....)We are really COUNTRY BUMPKINS, some might say rednecks, or hicks.... call us what you may, but we have red dirt dusting our boots and eternally stained on our socks.







Mack grew up in Kanab, Utah only leaving for a mission, a couple of trips to California and to work and meet me in Las Vegas....destiny. I grew up all over the western states, but returned each summer and spent it with my grandparents in a little town in Idaho. We love small town life, church bells ringing, hellos from every passing truck, 10 minute grocery runs taking two hours because you know everyone there, midnight stars that are so bright they can be touched because there are no street lights (or freeway flood lights)and azure blue skies against red hills that are unbroken by gray and ugly buildings, dirt roads, trucks parked in gravel driveways with a bale of hay in the back and a dog perched on top, wranglers butts and cowboy hats (ok so that is probably more mine then macks), old cowboys perched under an apple tree, the smell of fresh sage after a rain, dilapidated old barns held up with baling twine and white picket fences holding back the lilacs, cousins and cook outs, and George Strait playing in the stores.



This summer we have been able to reconnect a little more with our roots...Carrisa and JD have lived in their boots (when not in the pool) and Chayce, well he looks just his dad did in wranglers and a hat.....I can't tell him that I like it too much or he will go the opposite way! And Kelle and Ash have become experts at catching the chickens that escape at aunt shayla's. The kids have loved being out with grandpa on the horse and being able to run around on the mountain and have a bb gun in their hands without the police being called, we have cooked in the dutch oven and had the best hobo dinners, we have loved waking up to the sound of utter silence......




and heard the whisper of the breeze in the pines, we have seen a few rodeos and now there are one or two of us dreaming of riding the bulls and racing around the barrels, we have hauled wood and some of us have cut and baled hay, we have fed the chickens and lambs and watered the horses,....so if you find that we have gone in the middle of the night....just head south and you will find us back where we belong. We'll be the ones with boots on.


3 comments:

McDonald Army Brats*** said...

wow that looks amazing! Reminds me of the deer hunts when all got to hang out! :)

Maria said...

Renee, this post is so sweet. I love it. It makes me feel nostalgic for country life and I grew up in Farmington. I love the feeling and the truth behind the words. I love that it really is a different world and one that is maybe a little less scary. What a great thing for you guys to have. A place to escape too. I'm jealous honestly.

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

Hey renea...I stumbled onto your blog off of cody and angies blog..I am so excited to FINALLY be interet available!!! It feels good to beable to stay in touch. Talk to you later. Give Mack our best.. It was great seeing you guys last month. Tiff